Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Women's Soccer Battles Unbeaten Scranton to 1-1 Draw

Leanne Ludwick
Leanne Ludwick

HAVERFORD, Pa. – The Haverford College women's soccer team played unbeaten Scranton to a 1-1 draw Wednesday afternoon on Walton Field. Wrapping up non-conference play for the regular season, the Fords (7-4-2) struck first but the Royals (12-0-2) answered back just under four minutes later in the opening half. From that point on, both defenses held up under their counterpart's offensive attacks the rest of the way. Scranton came into today's match receiving votes in the United Soccer Coaches Poll.

The visiting Royals entered the contest outscoring opponents 39-3 on the season and had not conceded a goal in nearly a month. However, the Fords changed that narrative when Leanne Ludwick found herself right in front of the goal to finish a nice pass from Katie Safter, who beat her defender to the end line. Ludwick's goal was tipped by the Royals' goalie, but she had enough on the shot for it to run over the goal line.

Ludwick's go-ahead tally came just over nine minutes after she hit the post to be denied a goal during the 29th minute of play. Ludwick now has eight goals for her career. This afternoon's goal was her second this season after she previously scored the game-winner at Muhlenberg. Safter's assist was her third this season and seventh helper of the captain's career.

Haverford controlled the tempo for much of the first half and held a 6-2 advantage in shots before Scranton leveled the game with just over three minutes to play before the break. Erin Toburen gathered the possession just outside of the 18 for the Royals and was able to find the back of the net towards the near post for her fifth goal of the season.

The Fords finished with double the number of shots as Scranton, holding a decisive 14-7 advantage at the end of 110 minutes of game action. Haverford finished the match with an even more dominating 8-2 advantage in shots on goal, but Scranton goalie Colleen Barry made seven saves to record her half of the draw. The Royals' best chance after the first half came during the first overtime session when Jamie Hreniuk found herself inside of the 18 with possession but sent her attempt sailing over the crossbar.

In addition to her goal, Ludwick led the Fords with four shots on the afternoon. Maryanna Solecki, Sydney West, and Safter also had multiple shot attempts throughout the contest. Hannah Friedrich made her first career start in goal for the Fords and finished the afternoon needing to make just one save to help her squad salvage the non-conference result.

Women's soccer will be back at home this Saturday for a 12 p.m. start against Dickinson. Prior to that contest, the Fords will honor the nine members of their senior class as part of the Senior Day festivities. Haverford will wrap up the regular season the following week with Tri-Co members Bryn Mawr and Swarthmore as the Fords continue their postseason push.